If your administrator has turned on multi-factor authentication (MFA) for your Microsoft 365 product here is the list of steps to follow to setup your MFA from a user perspective, this is typically a one time setup process:
This guide is base on using the Microsoft authenticator app, if you prefer SMS only see here for the instructions:
You will need to have your mobile phone with you when you start this process.
1. logon to Microsoft 365 webmail via office.com using your existing account username and password.
2. After you successfully log on, a pop-up will appear asking for more information. Click next.
3. Chose the mobile app method
4. Check the 'receive notifications' option button
5. Click setup
6. Instal the mobile phone app from here if necessary
7. If you have the app installed already you may already have services listed
8. Tap on the elipsis
9. Tap on add account
10. Select 'Work or school account'
11. Tap scan QR code
11. Scan the QR code that shows on the PC screen
12. The new account should now show in the authenticator app.
13. This completes the setup of the authertication app.
14. Your microsoft logon will now ask for authentication, tap approve.
15. The next step is to add your mobile phone number in case you don't have access to the authenticator app.
16. Chose your country, add your mobile number and click next
17. Typicly you can ignore the app password, just click done
18 That should be the final step. You will only need the multi factor authentication when you setup a new device or periodically when the administrator requires a re-verification.
Note that you can go to https://aka.ms/mysecurityinfo to manage your settings including and addition phone if for example you would like you office admin to be able to authenticate you if you lose your phone:
digitalwelcomemat now has a blog!
Subscribe for the news as it happens, call me for support on 0404 493 770 or access my remote support solution here: http://help.digitalwelcomemat.com/
Digitalwelcomemat provides IT consultancy and services for business customers on the NSW Central Coast in Australia.
Give me a call: 0404 493770